Saturday, July 23, 2011

April 2019 - Bristol State University

Coco Russo is 19, Claudia Russo and Carla Dallas are 22, Jessica Cooper is 20.


Narrated by Jessica Cooper



Carla's been acting a little depressed lately since she was put on academical probation. She had just been spending so much time with her boyfriend Alec that her GPA had slipped from an average 3.2 to a low 2.0. After having a little talk with some of her professors, Carla was ready to leave college. But then, Claudia managed to talk some sense into her – she had already come this far, and it would be silly for her to drop off during her senior year.


Now it seems like Carla will be staying with us for a little longer. She's now repeating her penultimate semester all over again, and will most probably be graduating next January. She's not too thrilled about the delay, but after talking with Claudia, she's not planning on dropping off anymore.


She's still seeing Alec, though.


I bet he wasn't happy when she told him she wasn't going to be able to spend so much time with him anymore. He's been coming to the campus almost every day for the past 7 months, which I find unbelievable. The guy is a poor musician/ a part-time DJ and doesn't even have a car. I bet he doesn't have the money to pay for the 45-minute cab drive twice every day, so I suppose he takes the bus.


I'm not sure whether Alec just likes Carla or the idea of four college girls living together. The other day, Coco told me Alec had definitely been flirting with her. I know for a fact that ever since the beginning, Coco has been thinking how incredibly hot Alec is and how he shouldn't even be with Carla. I really don't know what to say to her – I've never liked Carla and I definitely don't like Alec. But then again, I've been there to witness how much Carla has actually changed ever since she got together with this guy. If they ever broke up, I'm pretty sure Carla would go back to normal, and that's not something I'd like to see happening.


Over the past one year and a half, Claudia and I have become good friends. It hasn't been something I could have ever expected, but here we are. Claudia's really sweet and it would be impossible not to warm up to her. I also really appreciate her for the fact that she has been able to form her own opinion and get to know me before believing all the crap Carla must have been telling her about me.


Claudia will be graduating this May and she is more than excited. She misses her family and her boyfriend Andrew, who all live in Bristol Bay. Claudia is definitely the kind of girl to be living in the same place for her whole life. Her heart is in our home town.


I've very much enjoyed living together with the Russo sisters. Their family is Italian, so the girls know all the best recipes. They both like to cook, but neither of them is too excited about working at their dad's restaurant after college. Claudia would like to enter the world of fashion design, and Coco has been thinking about joining the police force.


For Coco, college has never been all about studying. She just knew it was something she was supposed to do to make her parents happy. It wasn't easy for her to choose a major, but this semester, after a little encouragement she finally chose to major in Psychology. I tried to convince her that it would definitely be something useful if she really wanted to become a cop.


I tried to get her to understand how it would be really helpful for her to be able to enter the criminal's mind. She just laughed a little, claiming she'd just be chasing the bad guys and would leave all the analyzing for the smarter ones, like me. I told her I had no intention on becoming a crime investigator, since I've already had my future planned out ever since I was 12.


I would just love to become a journalist. I'm majoring in Literature and it's definitely something that I like.


At times I feel like I'm the only one who actually pays attention and takes notes at class, but then again, it's possible that I'm the only one here who's really passionate about all this.


Sometimes I feel a little lonely while I wander around the campus. It seems like everyone else has been able to make friends.


Of course I have Coco and Claudia, but they've both made lots of new friends at college and spend most of their free time away from home.


I'm always the first one to wake up in the morning. The house is so big and quiet it feels like I'm all alone in there. Those are the times when I really start thinking about my life, and the fact how lonely I really am.


Coco is the next one to wake up. She usually goes for a jog at around 8.


Carla hates it when she needs to get up before 10. She's such a slob. She just wants to have fun – no wonder she was put on academic probation.


I try to have some fun, as well, but at times it can feel very hard. Sometimes the girls drag me to the Campus Pub with them and it's nice, but only because of the booze.


I've never been much of a drinker, but being sober at a college party is definitely not fun. When I drink, I get all amorous and keep telling my friends how much I love them.


Coco had a date with this guy, Spencer. They met last year at this very same bar as we were playing some pool.


I was with Claudia, but she really started missing her boyfriend and called him. I know for a fact that Claudia isn't too fond of the college life and is more than eager to finally graduate this spring.


I can't really remember much of the night, but I do recall trying to hit on the bartender. It's definitely not something I'd normally do, but I guess it's just the production of months and months of loneliness – and my intoxication. I have no experience of flirting whatsoever, so of course I was turned down.


At some point of the night, Coco went missing.


I'm guessing she left with Spencer. She's never been too eager to start dating him officially, but after breaking up with my brother, she hasn't been seeing any other guys, either.


I just want all the best for Coco. My brother was devastated when she left him and it seems like he still hasn't moved on. But then again, Coco's my best friend and I can't blame her for anything. She dated James during high school, and only rarely people marry their first loves.


I'm not sure if I've ever been in love. During high school, there was nothing. Absolutely nothing. For a while, I had just thought maybe love wasn't something I was even meant to experience. I wasn't happy with that, since I had always felt the need to be loved. I had always been overshadowed by somebody else, so I just wanted someone to notice me.


It had been almost a year since the last time I talked to her. I just hadn't found the right words nor had I even known what it was that I felt. She had kissed me.


It was the liquor. I stood up, ran after her and looked her in the eyes. There was no need for words.


It was a quick and a clumsy kiss, but still good.


We both giggled a little.
“So you've finally made up your mind”, she finally said. “Took you long enough.”

~~


I just wanted to show you a little of the house the girls are living in. This is Jessica's side of her and Coco's room.


Coco's side.


Carla's side of her and Claudia's room.


And Claudia's bed and sewing machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment